Between 2004 and 2016, Paul Greengrass directed a total of six movies. Four of those have Matt Damon in them. Three of them are about the fictitious Jason Bourne character. Two of them are based on a true story.
Today, we’re going to be looking at one of those movies.
With a budget of $55 million, Captain Phillips made about half that on opening weekend on its way to a profitable $107 million in theaters. It was also nominated for six Oscars, and while it didn’t end up winning at the Academy Awards, much of the movie’s success can be attributed to the amazingly intense way the film portrays the situation. It seems so real. But is it?
LINKS AND MORE RESOURCES
- Captain Phillips (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
- A Captain’s Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea
- The real “Captain Phillips”
- Mystery shrouds ‘Captain Phillips’ ship deaths
- Crew members: ‘Captain Phillips’ is one big lie
- Did The U.S. Government Lie? Somali Pirate Disputes The Official Report On The Captain Phillips Disaster — Says Dirty Tricks, Not Superior Marksmanship, Brought Down Pirates
- The Smiling Pirate documentary
- More episodes on the Based on a True Story website
- Join the Based on a True Story Facebook page
- Support the show at Patreon
- Let me know what you think of the show on Twitter