On January 19th, 2009, Defiance was released to underwhelming box office numbers. With a budget of $32 million, the film would go on to only make back about $28 million in theaters. After the author of the book that the movie was based on, Nechama Tec, saw the film, she was shocked by some of the changes Hollywood made.
Let’s find out just how much changed as we learn the true story behind Defiance.
Enjoy this episode? Help support the next one.
LINKS AND MORE RESOURCES
- Defiance the movie
- Defiance: The Bielski Partisans by Nechama Tec. The book behind the movie.
- The Bielski Brothers: The True Story of Three Men Who Defied the Nazis, Built a Village in the Forest, and Saved 1,200 Jews
- The Mirror’s article about the true story behind Defiance
- More episodes on the Based on a True Story website
- Join the Based on a True Story Facebook page
- Support the show at Patreon
- Let me know what you think of the show on Twitter