With the Thanksgiving season upon us, I thought it’d be a great opportunity to travel back in time to the days of Colonial America. Then I realized there’s not really a lot of movies about the actual Thanksgiving story. So I decided to go with something that, although not about the Thanksgiving story itself, could transport us back to those days. And it’s also a great opportunity to do something we haven’t tackled yet on the podcast, a Disney animation.
While it was certainly a box office success, Pocahontas was severely criticized by a lot of historians for telling a tale that most people now believe to be a true story when, in fact, it was almost entirely inaccurate with what actually happened.
Enjoy this episode? Help support the next one.
LINKS AND MORE RESOURCES
- Pocahontas [Blu-ray]
- The True Story of Pocahontas: The Other Side of History
- The Story of Pocahontas and Captain John Smith: Illustrated
- John Smith’s 1616 letter to Queen Anne
- John Smith’s 1624 book, The General Historie of Virginia
- Powhatan Nation’s page about Disney’s Pocahontas
- Ancient Origins’ true story of Pocahontas
- More episodes on the Based on a True Story website
- Join the Based on a True Story Facebook page
- Support the show at Patreon
- Let me know what you think of the show on Twitter