Next Friday, on June 24th, director Gary Ross, the three-time Academy Award nominated writer and director behind Seabiscuit, The Hunger Games and Pleasantville, has taken his place behind the camera once again in a movie he’s written. This time for Free State of Jones, which is based on the true story of a farmer in Mississippi named Newton Knight.
But how much of Free State of Jones is truth? Get to know the true story before you see the movie in this week’s podcast:
Enjoy this episode? Help support the next one.
LINKS AND MORE RESOURCES
- Free State of Jones (Blu-ray + DVD+ Digital HD)
- The State of Jones: The Small Southern County that Seceded from the Confederacy
- The True Story of the “Free State of Jones”: Historic Accounts of the Mississippi County that “Seceded” from the Confederacy
- The Free State of Jones, Movie Edition: Mississippi’s Longest Civil War (The Fred W. Morrison Series in Southern Studies)
- Show Transcript
- Join the Based on a True Story Facebook page
- Support the show at Patreon
- Connect with me on Twitter